Wednesday 21 August 2013

Why you should drain the fuel from your motorcycle gas tank

BE WARNED

Why you should drain the fuel from your gas tank

Many people will tell you that if you are going to store your bike for any length of time you must drain the fuel from the tank and carbs as it will go off.

What does go off mean and is it as serious as people say it is ?

It is as bad as people say it is !!!

As you know I am stripping my old Kawasaki Zephyr ZR750 with the intention of rebuilding it by saving as many parts as I can from the old bike using various weird and wonderful ideas I have seen on the net.

The idea is to spend as little as possible and use some unusual ideas to save and restore the original parts where possible.

One part I want to save is the fuel tank, once in very good condition and now very rusty inside.

Now the reason it is in such bad condition is because I did not drain the fuel from the tank and now that fuel has essentially turned to muddy water and has caused the inside of the tank to rust

The rust could have been prevented if the tank had been drained before storing and saved me a lot of work now.

Here is a video showing what I found when I did drain the tank !!



As you can see it is now basically muddy water with bits of rust in it

So ALWAYS drain your tank and carbs if storing a bike for more than a couple of months


No comments:

Post a Comment