Tuesday 20 August 2013

Doing My Research - Finding Free Alternative Restoration Techniques

Researching free restoration tips


The theme of this blog is to do as much restoration and tuning as I can to the old Kawasaki Zephyr ZR750 as possible whilst spending as little money as I can get away with.

Obviously most of these ideas will transfer to most Japanese multis from Yamaha, Suzuki, Honda or Kawasaki, in fact virtually any motorcycle you can think of.

When restoring or tuning motorcycles in the past I would aim for perfection as much as possible, not so I could show the bikes ( I have never put my bikes in a show ) but for my own satisfaction and the knowledge that I have done things the best way I could possibly do.

That approach is ok if you are willing to buy new parts when needed or have a large workshop with all the tools and equipment and skill needed to do major engineering work such as skimming the head but that is not the plan, the plan is to do this restoration as cheaply as possible using tools and equipment that nearly everyone has at home.

This bike is also a challenge to myself to try some of the more "unusual" ideas to be found on the net. Some of these ideas are things that were in common use many years ago such as lapping and reaming components instead of CNC machining.
Some will be back yard ideas that I have never tried and would like to see what, if anything does work and what doesn't.

I will not be blindly just picking an idea and just doing it, I will check out all the different suggestions and using my own judgement I will choose a method I believe it will work and try it out for real.

So at the moment I am spending a bit of time checking out ideas and deciding which ones to try so click the FOLLOW MY BLOG button to be notified of my new posts and videos as they are posted.



No comments:

Post a Comment