Thursday 4 July 2013

The beginning, a scrap motorcycle, no money and very little time

The bike I started With
I would like to end up with something like this !

As a lifelong motorcyclist who has been riding and fixing motorcycles for more than 40 years I have recently had a drastic reduction in my income and have had to sell my bike. 
I know it had to be done but not having a bike for the first time ever in my adult life is surprisingly depressing and I decided that I must get back on two wheels somehow.
Now I said I do not have a bike but that is not strictly true, I do have a bike an old Kawasaki Zephyr 750 that used to be my winter hack.
Now this bike was a bit of a wreck when I had it on the road but now having sat unused and untouched at the bottom of my garden for 6 years it is basically scrap metal and is probably worth less than £100.

Now I have decided this is probably my only chance to get back on the road. it is an absolute wreck but it did run before I abandoned it even if it was a little rattly from the cam chain and a bit of piston slap was evident when cold.

So this blog is going to chart my progress as it happens and I will add pages to the side bar on the right listing each section of the project such as frame, engine rebuild etc with step by step instructions on how I did it.

I will also have a page on costs of the project and a total expenditure for parts etc.

Feel free to comment on my methods and whether you agree or disagree on how I have done it or give any advice you may have to help, I dont mind anyone giving their opinion good or bad just try and be polite !

Remember this project is going to have to be done for virtually no money, obviously some items will have to be bought for safety reasons but I will be trying to find ways of improving what I have not replacing things that can be modified or repaired by me.

No comments:

Post a Comment